Oceanside Psychologist Services for Individuals, Couples, and Families
Your health is more than your physical fitness. Taking care of your mental well being is just as important. If you feel that there are issues that are negatively affecting your mental health, treating it the way you would treat any health issue is an important part of living a long, happy life.
At Long Island Psychology, our Oceanside psychologists are available to help you regain control of your life. With two offices in Garden City and Rockville Centre, NY, along with remote therapy services for those that prefer a phone or video session, we work to specifically address the challenges you face in life.
We have therapy available for all different types of mental health struggles, and training in proven and innovative strategies that can help you be your best self and form your strongest relationships. Learn more about our psychology and counseling services in Oceanside, NY or set up an appointment by calling us at (516) 732-0273.
Currently Accepting Patients in Oceanside
Long Island Psychology provides individual therapy, couples counseling, and family therapy to our clients throughout the region. Dr. Marc Shulman and Dr. Atara Wertentheil are clinical psychologists with many years of experience working with patients of all ages and backgrounds. As local Oceanside therapists, we work directly with you to improve your mental wellbeing, with therapy focused specifically on you.
We know that, despite the benefits therapy offers, it can be difficult to find the time in our busy lives. That is why, in addition to welcoming patients in our Rockville Centre and Garden City offices, Long Island Psychology also offers remote therapy so that you can meet with your therapist over the phone or through video chat. Teletherapy accomplishes the same goals as in person therapy, while enabling you to continue therapy when unable to come into the office.
Individual Therapy Focused on Your Mental Health
We personalize our individual therapy services to match your experience. Even two people with the same diagnosis will have different experiences and require separate treatment plans to help them feel in control of their lives once more. We meet you exactly where you are without pressure or judgment and work in tandem with you to build a treatment plan that works for your needs and lifestyle.
Some of the individual therapy services we offer include counseling for:
- Depression – Depression is one of the most common mental issues our patients experience. More than sadness, depression can result in hopelessness, lethargy, and disinterest, making it difficult to go about your daily routine and maintain relationships.
- Anxiety – There are several types of anxiety disorders, including generalized anxiety, panic attacks, OCD, PTSD, and more. Left alone, anxiety can leave you feeling out of control. We consider the cause and help you develop coping strategies so that you can manage anxiety.
- Women’s Issues – Motherhood, childbirth, miscarriage, careers, and other challenges can impact women throughout their lives. When you are struggling, we can help you get through the issues.
- Addiction – Addictions to gambling, alcohol, sex, or another behavior can be managed through therapy so they no longer have control over your life.
- Pediatric Therapy – Children can experience many of the same emotional challenges as adults. We are experienced in adapting our communication to work with children, teens, and young adults.
- Grief Counseling, LGBTQ Counseling, and More – We also offer population specific therapies, counseling after a loss or trauma, and other services to meet any mental health challenge.
You also do not have to have a diagnosis to seek counseling. People are often aware that they are less than content in their daily lives without knowing why. If stress, worry, lack of motivation, or another emotion is consistently making you feel less than your best, we can help you determine the cause and make positive changes.
Relationship Counseling and Couples Therapy in Oceanside
Relationships come with challenges, even when the relationship is strong. Trust, communication, and understanding are key to repairing and growing relationships. Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil can help those in any stage of a relationship with:
- Premarital Counseling – Premarital counseling can help you begin your marriage with united goals by guiding you through lingering concerns and addressing questions about children, finances, and other decisions both large and small.
- Marriage Counseling – If a marriage is faltering, we can often help clients focus on repairing the relationship while more effectively managing disagreements and daily stresses.
- Divorce Counseling – When a couple has decided to part ways, therapy during the process can provide understanding between partners and help each adjust to the new relationship.
- Infidelity Counseling – Regaining trust after a partner has cheated can feel difficult. Working with a therapist, you and your partner can rebuild the love and respect in your relationship.
- Individual Relationship Counseling – We also provide relationship focused counseling for individuals currently in or out of a relationship. Breakup counseling and singles counseling can help you process previous relationships and build skills for those in the present or future.
Our relationship counseling is founded on the idea of an objective, judgment free space for a couple to confront the difficulties they face and work with a psychologist to build the strategies needed to restore communication and trust.
Group Therapy, Resilience Training, and More
Besides private therapy sessions, our psychologists also regularly offer group therapy on a variety of mental wellness topics where you can benefit from the experience of peers working alongside you.
Our innovative resilience training program is designed to help you manage stress and retain your motivation after setbacks. Those in the program gain valuable skills that can be applied in personal and professional settings and lead to increased confidence and contentment.
Therapy for families, those dealing with specific challenges, and more are all adaptable to our clients’ specific needs to help them overcome whatever they may be dealing with in their lives.
About Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil at Long Island Psychology
As clinical psychologists, Dr. Marc Shulman and Dr. Atara Wertentheil rely on extensive education and experience when working with clients. They have each worked with individuals from all backgrounds and know that building a strong therapeutic relationship – one that relies on your feedback – is a key part in the process.
The range of modalities they use in treatment makes it possible for them to adapt therapy to the diverse group of clients they work with. Among those approaches they may use, modalities include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Dynamic Experiential Learning
- Positive Psychology, and More
While most of our Oceanside patients take advantage of in person therapy at our Rockville Centre office, a secondary office in Garden City, NY and remote therapy opens up our services to patients living anywhere in New York state with therapy that is accessible and designed around your needs.
Set Up an Appointment – Contact Us Today
Making an informed decision is important when choosing a therapist, so we are always available to provide more information about our practice and approach to individual or couples therapy. We can also schedule your first session with a therapist to get the process started.
FAQ About Oceanside Therapy
Q: What Safety Measures Are in Place During Covid-19?
A: Appointments by telephone or video are available to those who are not able to leave their homes during the pandemic. In our office, patients and staff wear masks and practice social distancing. We also clean the office between appointments.
Q: What Is the Cost of Therapy with Long Island Psychology?
A: Please call us to learn more about our pricing structure and learn about our different therapy offerings.
Q: Do You Take Insurance?
A: We are not in any insurance networks, but are an out of network provider. Many insurance companies will cover mental health services, and you should call your insurer to learn how reimbursements work for your plan. Generally you will submit the bill we provide you to your health insurance.
Q: Are Evening and Weekend Appointments Available?
A: We do have a limited number of appointments available outside normal business hours for those who work. We can discuss scheduling with you to make sure you can meet with a psychologist at a time convenient for you.
Q: What Are Your Confidentiality Practices?
A: We have strict privacy standards for both in person and telepsychology appointments. Your diagnosis stays between you and your therapist unless we are required to disclose it by law. Please note that, if paying through insurance, some companies will require a diagnosis before processing, although we can avoid this with cash payments.
Q: How Do I Know If Dr. Shulman or Dr. Wertentheil Are the Right Psychologists for Me?
A: Choosing a therapist can feel overwhelming, particularly if you are new to therapy or returning after several years. Our staff can help guide you based on general information regarding what your seeking to gain from therapy, and we always encourage you to try meeting with Dr. Shulman or Dr. Wertentheil to learn first hand how their modalities and treatments can benefit you.