Remote Therapy in NY – Video & Phone
Individual Therapy and Couples Counseling
We’re living in an increasingly digital world. Even before COVID-19, more and more activities were taking place online as people switched from office work to telecommuting, from in person book clubs to book Zoom meetings, and from college campuses to online college.
The field of psychotherapy has also been making this switch. Over the past several years, long before the pandemic, psychologists like those here at Long Island Psychology began offering remote therapy services to help clients who felt they were ready for therapy but were either too far away or not available for in person visits.
Now, more than ever, we all need mental health support. If you’re in New York, contact Long Island Psychology today at (516) 732-0273, or fill out our online form to talk to us about the process and get started with your treatment and guidance.
Remote therapy is therapy that takes place outside of our offices from a distance. It integrates video software that can be opened from a computer or phone anywhere with internet access or simply by talking over the phone.
When therapy is done remotely it makes it possible to speak to your therapist from anywhere, while you’re on vacation, at work, or under quarantine. It’s why our remote therapy services here at Long Island Psychology are available to people throughout New York State.
Online/video therapy can help to establish rapport (the connection between you and your therapist) and improve the ability to communicate feeling and emotion, as well as build trust with each other. In the past, because most video chatting was inadequate both visually and functionally, in person sessions was the only way to establish a visual connection as well as assess body language.
But the quality of both video technology and the services that provide it means that seeing someone in person has almost the same equivalence as seeing someone in person, and for those that are:
- Unable to visit in person due to time, distance, or safety.
- Unwilling to have in-person therapy.
- More motivated to seek therapy knowing you can do it in a place of comfort.
This potential to use remote based therapy in NY can therefore advantageous.
Why Choose Long Island Psychology
for Online Therapy in New York?
Using technology to improve your mental health through psychotherapy has many benefits. But one of the best is that it allows you to choose your psychologist, rather than limit yourself to those within your nearby area. Remote therapy means that you can see far more therapists, and find the one that matches you best.
Here at Long Island Psychology, our psychologists, led by Dr. Marc Shulman, work every day to provide quality mental healthcare.
From our unique approaches to therapy (all of which are personalized to you) to the judgement free space we create, we are ready to assist you with whatever your mental health challenges may be and are ready to help you feel supported with your care.
We adapt our therapeutic approach to address who you are and what you’re struggling with, with therapies that include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Positive Psychology
- Dynamic Experiential Learning (DEL)
- Psychodynamic Therapy
We’re available for those experiencing severe emotional distress, and we can provide ongoing counseling to those that need someone to support them in a more ongoing way.
Therapy is only as effective as your relationship with the therapist, and that’s why we encourage you to give us a call and see if we are a good fit. All of our psychologists and therapists are happy to take on new patients and continue to work with you for as little or as long as you need.
But there are other benefits to remote therapy as well, which is why we are more than happy to offer it here at Long Island Psychology. These benefits of remote therapy include:
- Fit in Busy Schedules – We all live busy lives. When you have to add a commute time (along with the preparation that happens before commuting), it can be very difficult to find the time to fit in mental health treatment. Using technology, you can meet remotely with your online therapist instantly and no matter where you are.
- Discreet – You should never feel shy about receiving therapy. But these days, people like their privacy, and the idea of publicly heading to a nearby therapist’s office can discourage people from getting the help they need. Online therapy is as discreet as possible, as you can attend sessions from your own home, and – depending on your location – live far away from your psychologist.
- Comfortable Space – It’s very important to feel comfortable when you’re with your counselor. There is often no more comfortable space than your home, where you can come to therapy in any outfit you want, be in any room that feels safe to you, and share knowing that you’re in your home.
- Consistency – Because online therapy doesn’t require a commute or extra scheduling, it’s easier to go to your sessions even in rain or snow, and you are less likely to find yourself too busy to attend, both of which are better for the long term outcome.
- Available for Remote Access – All across New York there are cities and towns where it is extremely difficult to find and see a therapist comfortably. Because we are available to anyone in NY state, our remote therapy services open the door to the treatments you may need.
Remote / Online therapy is also completely secure, in accordance with all HIPAA guidelines. We keep your information confidential in accordance with all applicable laws. Our patients can feel confident knowing they’re getting the same quality of care that they would receive with in person visits.
Types of Online/Remote Therapy
from Long Island Psychology
At Long Island Psychology, we base our services on the presenting issue. For some, we look at the past, focusing on what a person’s lived with in their early life to see how it may have affected their later life. For others, we look to the present and future, providing actionable items that focus on resilience and recovery.
Our remote therapy services are available for:
- Trauma Recovery
- Stress Coping, and More
Because online therapy is easier to schedule than traditional in-person therapy, we can meet as often or as little as you like/need. We’ll focus together on your mental health and do whatever we can to make sure you’re well.
In addition to traditional one on one therapy, we’re also pleased to be able to offer marriage counseling via the same remote platforms. Online couples counseling can have additional advantages that visiting in person may not always be able to offer:
- It makes it easier for both couples to be available.
- It’s in a location that’s comfortable and more natural.
- No awkward car rides. It’s easier to talk about what you’ve learned after.
- Some partners may be more receptive if it’s at home.
- Chance to be in a more natural environment.
Some people find that couples counseling at home or remotely also helps trigger more memories than when they’re out in an unfamiliar office. This can be useful for getting the conversation going. Because you’re already home, any steps or assignments that we have you complete as a couple can be completed immediately as well.
We encourage you to contact us if you’re interested in a group session on any topic, and we can let you know if we have one coming up, or we can consider trying to plan one around your interest.
An Online Psychologist in New York – At Your Fingertips
All of our psychologists and counselors still practice in person, and if you happen to live within driving distance of our three offices in Garden City, Rockville Centre, and Roslyn Heights, NY, you are more than welcome to come to our office.
But remote therapy makes it possible to see clients no matter where they might be: from NYC to Buffalo to Syracuse to Albany, and more, and comes with its own advantages for those that are unable to come to the office.
Our psychologists have many years of experience. We work with children, adults, and seniors. We are LGBTQ+ friendly, and our relationship counseling services are available for those in any type of relationship.
We at Long Island Psychology are here to help, whatever your struggle may be and whatever reason you have for seeking out a therapist. We are confident that our online services will be able to help you with your issues and are always happy to talk to you about what our services entail and why the approaches we use will benefit your mental health.
Contact our doctors today at (516) 732-0273, or fill out our online form and we will respond as soon as we can.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I want to Have In Person Sessions?
We are practicing psychologists that are happy to see you in person and build that therapeutic relationship if you’d prefer to come to our offices. We are located in Nassau County on Long Island, and are driving distance from Roslyn, Westbury, Levittown, Seaford, Queens, Oceanside, Floral Park, and more.
Is Online Therapy Covered by Insurance?
Can I Choose My Psychologist?
Are You Available After Hours?
Contact Long Island Psychology Today
If you have any questions about individual, group, or couples therapy (marriage counseling) or about working with a psychologist/therapist please do not hesitate to call.
With offices in Garden City, Roslyn Heights, and Rockville Centre, NY, we’re available for anyone that needs help on Long Island and in Nassau County.