Therapy in Plandome, NY from Experienced Clinical Psychologists
Many people consider their health a top priority in their lives. But this does not always extend to their mental health. Yet your overall well being depends equally on both your physical and mental health. Psychotherapy in Plandome is the best way to maintain your overall health while also living a more fulfilling life with stronger relationships.
Long Island Psychology is a Plandome therapist providing mental health counseling and relationship counseling from clinical psychologists Dr. Marc Shulman and Dr. Atara Wertentheil. We have a range of solutions that we can tailor to your needs and lifestyle. When you are ready to start on your therapy journey, please contact us at (516) 732-0273 to find out more about our services.
In Person, Phone, and Video Psychotherapy Appointments Available
Our Garden City location is the nearest office for clients in Plandome. For those who live or work in nearby cities, we also have a location in Rockville Centre. You can meet with a psychotherapist at either location for in person therapy.
But even a short drive can be too far when you have work, family, travel, and other responsibilities. For this reason, we also conduct virtual therapy, giving you the option to benefit from therapy via phone or video. We use secure platforms and are experienced in connecting with clients in a virtual setting in order to provide the same benefits as in person therapy.
Mental Health Conditions and Our Therapy Services
We have services to assist our clients with the majority of mental health conditions, but always take the approach of putting the focus on the patient, not the disorder. We create a judgement-free space where you can share your experiences, symptoms, concerns, and any diagnoses you already have. This gives us the basis to provide:
- Depression Treatment – More than just sadness, depression can make you feel empty and reduce your ability to find happiness in experiences you used to enjoy. Our therapy for depression in Plandome can treat the various forms of depression with strategies for long term management.
- Anxiety Treatment – Anxiety comes in many different forms, causing many people to experience anxiety in different ways. We work with clients who have generalized anxiety, PTSD, OCD, phobias, and social anxiety by helping them minimize stress and worry, and reduce intrusive thoughts in anxiety-inducing situations.
- Addiction Treatment – Although there are often physical symptoms, addiction is a mental health condition. Our treatment for addiction at Long Island Psychology can help you overcome drug and alcohol abuse, gambling addictions, sex addictions, and other types of addiction.
- Treatment for Women’s Issues – As a woman, experiences like motherhood, childbirth, miscarriage, meshing career and family life, and life transitions can be challenging. We are trained in guiding women through these and other challenges.
- Demographic Specific Therapy – We work with specific groups like children, seniors, LGBTQ individuals, and others. Our experience makes it possible for us to understand the unique issues faced by different groups and tailor our strategies to connect with you personally in a way that takes your background into consideration.
- Grief, Loss, and Life Transition Therapy – Major events in your life like a new job, move, marriage, or loss of a loved one are stressful and emotional. We can help you work through grief, stress, and the other emotions that accompany transition.
Each treatment is designed around your experiences, diagnosis, and lifestyle. We draw from different modalities to provide coping mechanisms, new insights on your thoughts and behaviors, resources, and strategies to help you manage the challenges and be your best self.
Relationship and Couples Counseling in Plandome
Our relationship therapy at Long Island Psychology offers solutions for couples, individuals, and families in a relationship at any stage. We support those in new relationships and those who have been together for years. We can help further improve relationships for those that are already happy, or work to restore a relationship after a breakdown of trust and communication. Relationship therapy in Plandome can offer:
- Divorce Prevention and Remediation
- Pre-Marital Counseling
- Marriage Therapy
- Infidelity Counseling
- Co-Parenting Guidance
- Family Therapy
Another option to help you build stronger and more fulfilling relationships is our individualized relationship therapy. Whether you are currently in a relationship, recently out of one, or single, we work with you to assess your own needs and to help you thrive in future relationships.
Group Therapy, Resilience Training, and Our Other Therapy Formats
Working in a group can also provide advantages when it comes to your mental health. Our group therapy for anxiety, addiction, relationships, and other challenges gives you a built in support network and access to leading clinical psychologists at a more affordable rate than individual therapy.
Our unique resilience training program is a great option for business leaders, first responders, athletes, students, and other individuals who want to maximize their potential and thrive in their personal and professional lives. We teach you the skills you need to turn failures into opportunities, feel more confident, and seek out happiness.
About Long Island Psychology
Dr. Marc Shulman and Dr. Atara Wertentheil of Long Island Psychology have extensive training in a variety of therapy interventions and techniques. After taking time to understand what makes their clients unique, their experience enables them to combine approaches from several separate modalities including:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dynamic Experiential Learning
- Positive Psychology, and More
Therapy can be a challenge for each patient, but many mental health conditions and relationship problems are manageable with effective psychotherapy, and our clients find the results of their effort worth it as they lead happier and more fulfilling lives.
We also do our best to make a treatment that fits with your lifestyle and goals, and we welcome your input during the process as you grow. This helps you achieve the best possible results in therapy in a way that both challenges and benefits you.
Call Us to Learn More and Make Your Appointment
If you are ready to get started with therapy, you can go ahead and make your appointment with Dr. Shulman or Dr. Wertentheil. But we also understand if you have more questions about our approach, the specialties of Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil, or how we can best meet your needs. We are happy to talk with you about any questions or options and provide personalized recommendations for your therapy.
FAQ About Plandome Therapy
Q: Is Virtual Therapy Different from an In Person Session?
A: In terms of benefits and outcomes, both virtual and in person therapy are the same. We know how to interact with our clients in different settings and provide effective talk therapy through either format. It comes down to which method fits your schedule and makes you feel most comfortable.
Q: What Are Your Rates for Therapy?
A: The prices vary for each of the individual, couples, and group therapy types we offer. Please call us to discuss which type of therapy you are interested in and we can give you the rates.
Q: Do You Take Insurance?
A: We are what is called an out-of-network provider. This means that you can submit the claims for the cost of therapy to your insurer, but we do not handle insurance ourselves. You can get more information on this process and find out if your insurance will cover your costs by contacting them directly.
Q: Are There Scheduling Options for People Who Work During the Day?
A: We know that work, childcare, and other responsibilities during normal working hours can keep you from meeting with your therapists. On a limited basis, we offer evening and weekend appointments for these clients. Your psychotherapist can let you know what times are available for your schedule.
Q: Is My Diagnosis Confidential?
A: Yes, except in the rare case where the law requires us to release information. Otherwise all information discussed in our sessions, including any diagnoses, are confidential between you and your therapist.
Q: How Do I Know If Psychotherapy Is Right for My Needs?
A: Almost everyone can benefit from talk therapy. If you are unsure if Long Island Therapy is the right fit for you, we recommend giving us a call. Once you share with us a little about your experiences and your mental health goals, we can help you decide which of our clinical psychologists will suit your needs.