ROCKVILLE CENTRE THERAPIST
Everyone wants to feel content. But life here in Rockville Centre, NY is filled with ups and downs – from unexpected challenges to difficult pasts to mental health issues that each can contribute to problems that can make us less happy, more stressed, and with difficulties that we may not be able to overcome on our own.
Therapy provides an effective way to help you feel more in control of your life and provide you with the skills you need to respond to these challenges. It can give you coping strategies for depression, anxiety, and other struggles with mental wellness. Even the challenges that can be handled alone are easier to confront when you have the support and skills of a trained local therapist.
Long Island Psychology is a team of therapists is Rockville Centre offering individual therapy, couples counseling, and more to local clients. We want to help you get the most from your life and relationships, and give you the tools, guidance, and direction you need to move forward.
Dr. Atara Wertentheil, along with Dr. Marc Shulman, have years of experience in providing therapy to a diverse range of clients to help each realize happiness and embrace themselves. For any challenge you are facing in your personal or professional life, we can help you cultivate skills that allow you to face the challenge directly. Call us at (516) 732-0273 to get more information or schedule an appointment.
Personalized Therapy for Men, Women, Children, and Seniors
Our office is located in Rockville Centre 100 N Village Avenue, Rockville Centre, NY 11570, providing convenient access to those who live or work in the area. We also offer telehealth through video or phone so that you can receive therapy even if you’re not currently available to come to our office.
We are always accepting new patients and are prepared to meet you wherever you are at in your personal journey. Our therapy clients come from all manner of diverse backgrounds and we have the experience and compassion to understand what makes your situation unique.
Therapy for Individuals – Mental Health and Wellness Services
Changes in your life, alterations to your body’s chemistry, and even a genetic predisposition can threaten your mental health and make you feel unbalanced or overwhelmed. As a therapist trained in treating mental health challenges and building strategies for general wellness, Rockville Centre therapist Dr. Wertentheil provides counseling for:
- Anxiety – Encompassing metal health conditions like generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and PTSD, anxiety can make your daily life difficult and leave you in a constant fear of the next episode. We can help diagnose and treat symptoms of anxiety through psychotherapy, with approaches like CBT and positive psychology to guide you to a recovery.
- Depression – Difficult types of clinical depression are some of the most common mental health disorders and affect many adults at some point in their life. We can help you manage any depressive symptoms you experience and work towards limiting your depression in the long term, while providing healthy coping mechanisms for times when you might have setbacks.
- Women’s Issues – Life transitions, infertility, postpartum depression, raising children, balancing careers and family life are only some of the specific difficulties women face in life. We work with you to improve your self-esteem, cope with depression, address concerns in your family life and career, and more.
- Stress Management – Our lives are filled with stressors, and ongoing stress can lead to both mental and physical health implications. We can teach you the techniques to manage and avoid stress, leading to overall improved health and wellness.
- Addiction – Addictions to substances, gambling, alcohol, pornography, and more can take over the life of a person and those around them. We put you back in control of your life with strategies to overcome dependency and the support you need throughout the process.
- Life Transitions – Starting a new job or leaving an old one, moving, relationships, and other life events all upset our daily routines, leading to what might feel like a loss of control. We help you build stability during your transitions to relieve stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Grief – After losing a loved one or experience another form of loss, we work with you as you cope with the loss and adjustment. We have tools and resources to make the grief more bearable as we provide support during this time.
Dr. Wertentheil and Dr. Shulman are experienced in working with members of different groups including seniors, children and adolescents, and LGBT patients. As a Rockville Centre therapist, Dr. Wertentheil emphasizes self-discovery and identity development in individual therapy. She guides patients through whatever challenges you are facing, addressing both mental health conditions and your personal identity along the way.
Couples Counseling Therapist and Family Therapy in Rockville Centre
Relationship therapy is sometimes seen as a last attempt to save a failing relationship. While it’s true that some people seek out marriage therapy as a last resort, relationship therapy and counseling can be so much more. It is suitable for those couples who thrive in their relationship, those that feel they are misunderstood, and individuals who are looking to foster more fulfilling relationships in the future.
Dr. Wertentheil and Dr. Shulman work with couples at every stage of a relationship and those enduring any type of struggle. She uses your insight and observations to determine which areas of your relationship are in need of external guidance.
As a relationship therapist, she can help with:
- Singles Counseling – Even if you are recently out of a relationship or currently single, relationships still play a large role in most of our lives. Breakup counseling and individual relationship therapy can help you establish your own identity, learn from past relationships, and build skills for future relationships.
- Marriage Counseling – Issues like trust, communication, co-parenting, and finances can challenge marriages. A marriage therapist can guide you through addressing any persistent problems in your marriage to create a stronger connection between you and your spouse.
- Premarital Counseling – Before your wedding date, premarital counseling offers a safe place to discuss plans for the future and lingering concerns so that you can begin your marriage with a strong foundation.
- Divorce Counseling – When both partners are dedicated to finding a solution, relationship counseling can help prevent divorce by instead working through problems in a positive way and rebuilding the love and affection.
- Infidelity Counseling – Infidelity can shatter the trust in a relationship. With infertility counseling, we can work through feelings of betrayal, emotional upset, and distrust to help you recover after the event.
Our relationship therapy works with both partners together and individually. We are dedicated to creating an open and non judgmental environment where your concerns can be heard by an objective therapist.
We can also provide therapy for one or more members of your family to help improve relationships among parents, siblings, and more. We are able to work with families made of different age groups and those dealing with mental health challenges alongside family issues.
Rockville Group Therapy, Resilience Training, and Additional Therapy Services
While private therapy for individuals and couples is one of the most popular forms of therapy, it is not the only effective format. Our therapists also offer group therapy workshops, resilience training, and more.
Our group workshops are led by our trained therapist and provide a space for you to address challenges with relationships, anxiety, and other issues alongside those that are experiencing similar issues. Group therapy combines up to date therapy methods with social support for a significant impact.
We also offer a resilience training program to help you be more optimistic, confident, and resistant to setbacks in your life. This program uses proven psychotherapy techniques to develop your skills and promote your self-growth.
Therapy Approaches at Long Island Psychology
Our therapy modalities help patients mitigate the effects of mental health problems and teach healthy coping mechanisms to manage symptoms that are negatively affecting your life. Through relationship counseling, we focus on building trust, communication pathways, compassion, and understanding.
With years of experience as a clinical psychologist, Dr. Atara Wertentheil and Dr. Shulman are familiar with the majority of scientifically-informed approaches to therapy. Some of those we regularly use with patients include:
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)
- Positive Psychology
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Dynamic Experiential Learning, and More
Rather than one single process, we adapt the modalities and strategies we use to your specific needs. Our experience across the proven, modern therapy techniques enables us to create a treatment plan that is specific to you.
This treatment plan will continually evolve as you work with a therapist and evolve yourself. It is also formed in partnership with you since we believe you are the expert in your own life.
Schedule an Appointment with a Rockville Center Therapist
Seeking out a therapist is an investment in your mental health and wellbeing. At Long Island Psychology, we want to make you feel welcome and comfortable at our practice. We are here to answer your questions, and we can help you choose which therapist is best suited to help you meet your mental health goals. Call us today to learn more and set up an appointment.