Individual Mental Health and Relationship Counseling Services
Our lives often require us to confront challenges, stressors, changes, and traumas. The mind is resilient, but these struggles can often become too much to deal with on your own, leaving you with depression, anxiety, faltering relationships, and other difficulties. Meeting with Long Island Psychology in Port Washington can help with any mental health or relationship challenge you are facing.
Long Island Psychology, led by psychologists Dr. Marc Shulman and Dr. Atara Wertentheil, offers experienced individual counseling, relationship therapy, and more in the Port Washington area. With a patient-centered approach and innovative therapy modalities, we are the leading therapist to help you overcome your challenges. Learn more and schedule an appointment today at (516) 732-0273.
Now Accepting Appointments in Port Washington for In Person and Virtual Therapy Sessions
Long Island Psychology has two conveniently located offices near Port Washington – one in Garden City and one in Rockville Center. You are welcome to meet with either Dr. Shulman or Dr. Wertentheil in person at our offices with a range of flexible scheduling times available.
For our clients who cannot fit the drive to Rockville Centre or Garden City into their busy schedules, or prefer to get therapy from the comfort of their homes, we also offer teletherapy services. Using phone or a video chat platform, we can meet with you wherever you are located to provide the same personalized, quality therapy for individuals and partners.
Individual Mental Health Conditions We Treat
At Long Island Psychology, we work with you as an individual. This means that we work to understand your lifestyle, experiences, and challenges, and never see you as just a diagnosis. But being able to categorize the symptoms and struggles you are facing can give you and your psychotherapist focus on the most important issues that are holding you back, including:
- Anxiety – Anxiety is currently the most common mental health condition in New York. Diagnoses like generalized anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, social anxiety, phobias, and others can make various situations in your life difficult or leave you feeling stressed all the time. Our Port Washington anxiety treatment can provide long term relief from symptoms of anxiety.
- Depression -Thousands of people in the area experience depression every year in the form of clinical depression, bipolar disorder, seasonal affective disorder, and others. We use depression treatment that helps you minimize feelings of sadness, emptiness, worthlessness, and lack of hope with methods like cognitive behavioral therapy and coping mechanisms.
- PTSD – Post traumatic stress disorder can result from many types of traumatic events and cause you to suffer anxiety long after the event is over. We can assist you in both managing the immediate symptoms and coming to terms with the events in your past that continue to bring you stress.
- Addiction – Addiction to drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex, and destructive behaviors are a damaging mental illness that can affect you and those you love. Psychotherapy can help you break the cycle of addiction and provide the support you need during the recovery process.
- Women’s Issues – Women go through many experiences unique to their gender. We can help you navigate issues with fertility, childbirth, postpartum depression, motherhood, careers, relationships, and other related challenges that can occur at different times in your life.
- Grief, Senior Care, and More – If you have experienced a loss, are living through a life transition, or are coping with aging, we can be with you through the changes to provide insights and coping mechanisms. We also have therapy for children if you have a kid or teenager dealing with mental health struggles.
Many of our patients do not have a specific condition they are seeking help with, but instead want to feel happier or more at peace. Whatever your background and experiences, you can have a Port Washington psychologist with the resources and tools to promote better mental health and more fulfillment in your life.
Relationship Counseling at Long Island Psychology
Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil provide relationship counseling in addition to therapy for individuals. We work with couples and families in relationships of all types. For those who have been struggling with personality differences or persistent challenges to those who just want to make an already good relationship even better, we offer:
- Marriage Counseling
- Pre-Marital Therapy
- Divorce Prevention
- Overcoming Infidelity
- Divorce Remediation
In addition to relationships between partners, we also have therapy services for families and individuals in the context of their relationships. We work with families of all shapes and sizes, providing therapy for blended families, extended families, families dealing with loss, and more. Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil can work with each member of your family to help you build communication and understanding.
Our individual relationship counseling provides break up therapy for those who have recently ended a relationship or are looking to understand previous relationships and navigate future ones.
Other Therapy Solutions – Resilience Training, Group Therapy, and More
The most effective therapy for you will be the one that is based on your needs. While many of our patients benefit from one-on-one sessions or couples therapy, others can thrive in a group setting as well. We offer several group therapy sessions throughout the year, including group therapy for anxiety and group therapy for couples in Port Washington.
We have also pioneered a resilience training program. This is designed to teach you the skills that will help you recover after setbacks, maintain a more positive attitude, and stay motivated no matter what challenges you face in your personal life or career.
About Long Island Psychology
Long Island Psychology is the combined office of Dr. Marc Shulman and Dr. Atara Wertentheil, both clinical psychologists in Port Washington. This designation means Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil are experts in the field of psychology with extensive education and experience to guide them in their treatments with approaches like:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Positive Psychology
- Dynamic Experiential Learning, and More
Using a variety of therapy modalities, as well as their personal experience working with clients from many backgrounds makes it possible for us to understand your unique situation and create a therapy plan that is specific to your needs.
Schedule a Psychology Appointment in Port Washington
Whether you already have a diagnosis for a mental health condition or you simply feel that you are not where you want to be in your personal health or relationships, Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil have the tools to help you move past anything that is holding you back. Contact us today to learn more about our psychotherapists, our approach, and how we can assist you in being your best self.
FAQs About Port Washington Therapy
Q: What is the Cost of Therapy in Port Washington?
A: Because we offer several different forms of therapy – individual, couples, family, group therapy, and more – prices can vary. We recommend contacting us to discuss what type of therapy you are interested in and we can provide pricing before scheduling your first session.
Q: What Insurances Do You Accept?
A: We are not in-network with any insurance, meaning we will not bill the insurance for you. Many insurances will accept our services as an out-of-network provider if you submit your bills to them directly. You should contact your insurer for more information since the process and coverage will depend on your company.
Q: Are Our Sessions Confidential?
A: Yes. We will not disclose any information about your diagnosis or what is discussed during your sessions unless required by law. Depending on your insurer’s requirements you may have to disclose your diagnosis to them for billing, although you can avoid this by paying cash.
Q: Does Virtual Psychotherapy Provide the Same Results as In Person Therapy?
A: Absolutely. We have been conducting psychotherapy over video conferencing and phone for several years, and we know how to build the connection between therapist and client. We still work to provide personalized attention and apply therapeutic techniques and methods that are effective regardless of the format of our sessions.
Q: Are Any After Hours Appointments Available?
A: We understand that many of our clients work during the weekdays, which is why we offer a limited number of after hours appointments. The best way to determine which session times will work best with your schedule is to speak with your therapist who will let you know what is available.
Q: Is Dr. Shulman or Dr. Wertentheil Right for Me?
A: It is alright if you do not have a clear idea which clinical psychologist you want to work with. We can help you make the choice once we learn a bit more about your needs. Contact us to get started.