Repairing and Growing Your Relationship with Our Long Island Couples Counselors
There is no relationship more important than a marriage. Which is why there is no greater struggle than when you feel as if something if off about your marriage.
The purpose behind marriage counseling – and the reason that we at Long Island Psychology have such a strong desire to help those that need couples counseling on Long Island – is to make sure that you’re not only able to create a stronger relationship, but you’re also able to experience greater life satisfaction and a better ability to cope with stress in the process. If you are in need of marriage counseling on Long Island, contact us today at (516) 732-0273.
What is Marriage Counseling?
Marriage counseling is a form of talk therapy, where we sit down and open a dialogue about what you’re going through in your marriage. Our role as counselors is to help mediate, guide, listen, and encourage honest conversations that may help you learn more about yourself and your partner in a way that is judgment free, safe, and fair to all parties.
Though traditionally marriage counseling is seen as a last resort, the truth is that marriage counseling isn’t about “saving” a marriage. It’s about working on yourself and your relationship, no matter what stage that may be in.
- For some, marriage counseling is simply a way to overcome issues and grow love and connection in a safe space.
- For others, it is a way to navigate and overcome the pain of infidelity.
- Still for others, it is a chance to learn more about who you are as a couple and what you can be doing to get greater contentment out of your relationship.
While most of our marriage counseling clients in Rockville Centre and Garden City come as couples, marriage counseling is also something that can be completed individually. Many people come for individual couples counseling – to learn more about where their stresses are, to overcome challenges, and to build on their ability to experience and give love in their relationship.
Like all forms of counseling and therapy, a large component is tailored to you. Even though we have specific strategies that we use in Long Island marriage counseling, the purpose of counseling is to address your specific concerns, issues, and goals in a way that will best help you and your relationship flourish.
Our Approach to Marriage Counseling
We take a unique approach to the couples counseling process. It is called “Complementary Dynamic Experiential Learning,” or CDEL, and the approach utilizes tenants of many popular, empirically validated therapeutic styles, including CBT, psychodynamic theory, and positive psychology.
Our approach emphasizes the idea that a marriage/couple is made up of two distinct, separate individuals. Each individual needs to learn more about themselves within the context of the relationship and marriage. Within each session, we look at the issues and obstacles that you’re facing as an individual that are blocking you from experiencing more from your marriage or controlling the stress that your marriage is providing.
- We start by taking a detailed assessment of the history of your relationship, what issues and struggles are challenging you, and also more about who you are as an individual.
- We then create a marriage counseling plan. The approach here may be different. For some couples, it may be recommended that we first meet separately to identify and resolve some of the issues that are leading to stress, conflict, and roadblocks. In other cases, we may meet only as a couple.
- We may also decide to meet jointly, but where one partner’s individual needs are being addressed while the other partner is responsible for listening (and responding when necessary).
- Whether we meet separate or apart, both partners agree that all information that is shared will be out in the open, as open and safe communication is a key component to successful marriage counseling.
- We continually assess next steps as they arise. As we near the end of our sessions, we’ll openly discuss the future of the relationship – what your goals are within the marriage, what resolution you’re hoping for, and what you’re willing and ready to do to keep it working.
We may also find throughout that there are individual issues, unrelated to the relationship, that are affecting the marriage. As Long Island psychologists with experience in assisting those with anxiety, depression, and other stressors, these issues can be addressed as well, either individually or jointly as they arise.
Benefits of Marriage Counseling on Long Island
We have several offices on Long Island, including Garden City, Rockville Centre, and Roslyn Heights, NY. We also offer remote therapy and counseling for those that prefer to meet from the comfort of their home. We have worked with dozens of couples and have seen all different types of relationships. We know that there can be a stigma associated with engaging in marriage counseling – it often feels like going to marriage counseling is admitting a problem in your marriage that you may not be ready to face.
But the truth is that couples counseling is simply another tool for your marriage like any other. Some people read self-help books. Others talk to their friends. Others go on vacations. Couples counseling is a similar tool, except that it uses strategies that have been thoroughly researched and vetted to help you build upon where you are in your marriage.
Those that are willing to take a chance on CDEL couples counseling find that they are able to develop greater levels of:
- Personal Awareness
Perhaps most importantly, you’ll also have some insight into what steps you need to make as a couple and how to work through those goals.
Call Us Today for Marriage Counseling in Long Island, NY
One of the most difficult decisions you’ll have to make is which couples counselor to call. We believe very strongly in our approach to couples therapy, and we try our best to create a safe, non-judgmental space for both of you to share your challenges and issues and openly work on both yourselves and your marriage.
Please give us a call today at (516) 732-0273. It’s never too soon to call a marriage counselor, and we are confident that once we meet, you and your partner will feel comfortable continuing in our services and seeing how marriage counseling will benefit you. Let’s schedule your first appointment and start addressing your marriage goals.