Individual Mental Health and Relationship Counseling in Merrick
Mental health is one of the most important parts of our overall health, but we so often take it for granted. With busy routines and the pressure to always be performing at your best, whether at home or at work, taking a step back and seeking help can be difficult. Long Island Psychology offers personalized therapy that allows you to make mental health a priority.
If you are ready to get started with therapy in Merrick, NY, Long Island Psychology is the top choice. Our experienced psychologists Dr. Marc Shulman and Dr. Atara Wertentheil work with patients experiencing depression, anxiety, relationship issues, and more. Call us at (516) 732-0273 to speak with a therapist and find out more about what we offer.
In Person and Telehealth Appointments Available
For our Merrick patients, we have two conveniently located offices in Rockville Center and Garden City. You are welcome to choose whichever location is better for you, making it easier to schedule around work, childcare, and other daily commitments.
We also offer virtual psychotherapy with video and phone appointments. These provide a great way to maintain regular meetings with your psychologist, and receive all the same therapy benefits as an in person visit, without having to make the drive. You can hold your appointments from the comfort of your home or workplace, or even schedule meetings while traveling.
Our Individual Therapy Services in Merrick, New York
Everyone wants to live well and be content, but there are many mental health challenges that can prevent people from feeling their best. We have worked with patients experiencing many stressors and mental health conditions like:
- Depression – Depression can impact anyone at various times throughout their life. When it does, depression can leave you feeling empty and hopeless. We provide help for clinical depression, seasonal affective disorder, and bipolar disorder.
- Anxiety – Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health condition in the country, and are currently on the rise as contemporary events add stress to our lives. We offer anxiety treatment in Merrick for different diagnoses like generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD, OCD, social anxiety, and phobias.
- Life Transitions – Change is natural, but it can be difficult when it happens. New or lost jobs, moves, beginning or ending relationships, and other moments can make you feel stressed or out of control. We can assist you in regaining that control and navigating the transition in a positive way.
- Women’s Issues – Women face specific challenges in their lives. Experiences such as childbirth, raising kids, miscarriages, fertility struggles, postpartum depression, and other struggles like balancing careers and family put pressure on women. We can help women confront these and other issues.
- Childhood Issues – Our pediatric therapy in Merrick works with children and teens on their level. We are trained in communicating with children and understanding their specific emotional responses, and can help guide them through trauma recovery, family issues, and other age and non-age specific issues.
- Addiction Counseling – Addiction to drugs, alcohol, sex, porn, gambling, and other behaviors can have damaging consequences. We offer support in withdrawal and recovery using a variety of techniques and resources.
These are only a few of the mental health concerns we can treat. Our therapy practice is a safe and accepting place where treatment begins with understanding you as a person. Dr. Shulman or Dr. Wertentheil works one on one with you to build a dynamic plan for improving your mental wellbeing.
Couples and Family Counseling in Merrick
Bringing two people together in a relationship, or several people together in a family, results in multiple perspectives, personalities, and experiences. While this can be rewarding, it also offers challenges and requires a strong basis of communication and trust. We can help you build this foundation or improve on it with:
- Marriage Therapy – Most marriages will have rough spots at some point. If you are in one or you simply want to improve on an already strong relationship, our marriage counseling in Merrick gives you a space to build understanding with your partner under the guidance of a trained psychologist.
- Pre-Marital Therapy – Before you tie the knot, pre-marital counseling can help you and your partner align your goals, foster lifelong communication strategies, and address any outstanding concerns.
- Divorce Mediation – When you and your partner are separating, mediation can help the two of you do so in a peaceful and respectful way. We can work with your family as well in navigating the new relationships.
- Infidelity Counseling – Whether you want to rebuild trust after infidelity or are coming to terms with the emotions, we can support you in working through the thoughts and feelings that follow.
- Family Counseling – Our family counseling provides support for some or all members of your family as you deal with divorce, remarriage, loss, new family members, and more.
- Individual Relationship Therapy – We also offer relationship therapy for individuals who want to move past a breakup or examine their past and present relationships with the help of a therapist.
Our relationship counseling is designed around you and your partner or family. Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil learn about the specific goals and challenges you have for your relationship and use that knowledge to develop a customized plan, working with you as individuals and as a partnership to reach those goals.
Group Therapy, Resilience Training, and Other Services
Our therapy services do not end with our individual and couples counseling. We also offer a range of other services to meet different needs. Our group therapy for relationships, anxiety, and other issues provides you an alternative setting to work through challenges, where you can benefit from lower costs and the support of others in your group.
We have also designed a resilience training program that teaches grit, determination, and setback recovery. This unique program is ideal for everyone from business professionals to individuals looking to manage stress in their daily lives.
Depending on your specific needs, we may have additional resources and services that can help you. The best way to get started is contact us so that we can learn more about you and share our available options.
Who We Are – Dr. Marc Shulman and Dr. Atara Wertentheil
At Long Island Psychology, our team consists of trained clinical psychologists. Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil have years of education and experience in providing therapy. They have worked with a variety of demographics and challenges, but they also understand the importance of seeing you as an individual.
They therefore build a treatment plan around your specific needs, using a range of modalities such as:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dynamic Experiential Learning
- Positive Psychology, and More
Psychotherapy is a transformative process, and our approach can grow and change as you do. Any therapy takes effort and an open mind on your part, but we also are dedicated to openness and effort on our part. Our goal is to help you be your best and we have the resources and skills to make that happen.
Call Long Island Psychology to Schedule Your Appointment
Getting started with therapy can feel like a big step, and you may be a bit unsure where to begin. We work to make the process as straightforward and comfortable as possible. Give our office a call. We can answer your initial questions, find out more about you, and connect you with the right psychologist for your needs.
FAQ About Merrick Therapy
Q: How Much Does Therapy Cost in Merrick, NY?
A: Our rates will vary based on the type of therapy, the length of sessions, how often you meet, and other factors. For this reason, we recommend calling our office. We can discuss what therapy services you need and give you a better idea of price.
Q: Are My Therapy Sessions Confidential?
A: Yes, unless we are required to share information by law. Otherwise we will never discuss your diagnosis or our conversations with anyone else without your permission. This applies to our in person and virtual sessions.
Q: Do You Accept Insurance?
A: We are considered an “out of network” provider with many insurance companies. This means that your insurer will cover the cost of sessions when you submit your bill, but we do not bill the insurer ourselves. For more information on what is covered under your insurance, please contact them.
Q: Can I Schedule Evening or Weekend Appointments?
A: We have limited availability for appointments after normal business hours for our clients that work during the day. If you need appointments during these times, you will want to discuss your options with us.
Q: How Often Should I Come to Therapy?
A: That depends. Each of our patients is different, and the number of visits you need with your therapist will vary. It might even change over the course of your therapy relationship as many people will meet more often at first as they are getting established. You and your psychologist can talk about what will work for your mental health needs, schedule, and budget.
Q: Do You Treat My Specific Condition?
A: Most likely yes. Mental health is a complex field and no two people are the same. By getting to know each of our clients as an individual, not a diagnosis, we can plan treatment for whatever you are struggling with. What we discuss here is just a sampling of our experience.