Specialized Therapy for Depression in Children and Adolescents – Early Intervention and Long-Term Support
Depression isn’t just an adult issue; it often starts in childhood or adolescence and can significantly affect developmental and emotional milestones. Recognizing the importance of addressing depression early on, Long Island Psychology offers specialized, evidence-based treatments designed to help young people combat this often debilitating condition.
With locations in Garden City, Rockville Centre, and Roslyn Heights, NY, our qualified therapists create a supportive space for your child to open up, develop coping strategies, and make positive life changes. Reach out to us online or by giving us a call, today.
The Importance of Addressing Childhood Depression
Many people underestimate the prevalence and severity of depression in children and adolescents. While parents often hope that their children will “snap out of it,” ignoring the signs can result in long-lasting implications:
- Impaired Academic Performance – Depression can affect concentration and motivation, impacting school performance.
- Social Withdrawal – Children and adolescents may pull away from friends and family, leading to isolation.
- Higher Risk for Substance Abuse – Unaddressed depression can make young people more susceptible to risky behaviors, including drug or alcohol abuse.
Early and effective treatment can change the trajectory of these young lives, providing them with coping skills that will serve them well into adulthood.
Services Tailored to Children and Adolescents at Long Island Psychology
Our team is highly trained in various therapeutic approaches aimed specifically at treating depression in children and adolescents. We offer:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – CBT is a well-researched, effective form of treatment for depression, enabling children to understand the interconnectedness of their thoughts, feelings, and actions.
- Psychoeducation – Educating the child and the family about depression, its triggers, and coping mechanisms can be empowering and create a more supportive home environment.
- Positive Psychology – Positive psychology is a treatment designed around teaching positivity and happier thinking. Some of the techniques from positive psychology can be useful for children.
Your therapist may also use play therapy, family therapy, and a number of other therapeutic modalities to support your wellness and recovery.
Why Meet with a
Long Island Psychologist?
With offices in three convenient locations across Long Island, our service is accessible to families in Garden City, Rockville Centre, Roslyn Heights, and beyond. We provide:
- Specialist Expertise – Our therapists are highly skilled in dealing with childhood and adolescent mental health.
- Personalized Care – No two children are the same; we tailor our treatment plans to each individual’s needs.
- Flexible Scheduling – Life is hectic; we offer both in-person and online appointments to fit into your schedule.
We also cater our services to you and your child, making sure that your child feels seen, heard, and understood.