Retirees and Individuals Experiencing Life Transitions
Are you going through a new and challenging life transition?
Going through major life changes can feel incredibly overwhelming. These transitory periods often cause us to experience anxiousness, loss of direction, and loneliness. Life transitions can constitute a variety of aspects affecting our relationships, academics, careers, and more. Whether or not that transition is a personal choice or a consequence of circumstance there are many ways to adapt and persevere. At Long Island Psychology, our Resilience Training Program may help you if you are experiencing:
- A loss of self-identity or self-worth
- Difficulty adapting to changes in your life
- Lack of passion or drive for the future
- Difficulty maximizing your present
- Insufficient support from friends and family
- Negative emotions such as anger, confusion and hopelessness
- Depression or other forms of mental health issues
You are not alone in coping with change. While this is probably an overwhelming and difficult time to navigate, life transitions can often open up a multitude of positive outcomes. The goal is to adapt to your new reality while growing, learning, and discovering new passions in the process.
One of the most significant life changes that most of us inevitably got through is retirement. It is something that we think about every time we’re stressed with work, and plan out years and years ahead of time. But, when retirement actually comes we may feel a loss of distraction, passion, and productivity. Some questions you may have are:
- When is the right time to retire?
- What do I do with my life now that I am retired?
- How should I view the future and set new goals?
These are all normal and relevant questions to have, and thoughts will vary amongst each person. Remembering that life is still full of opportunity and growth after retirement is important. Instead of viewing it as a loss, we can view it as gaining the time to pursue new paths and goals.
Resilience Training for Life Transitions
Regardless of the kind of transition that you are going through, we are here to support you in an individually tailored way. Transitions can open up the possibility for the start of new opportunities, relationships, and goals. Our Resilience Training Program can help you adapt and identify these positive changes by:
- Confronting the loss faced by the life transition
- Accepting that change is part of life and allows for greater possibilities
- Setting new and relevant goals
- Identifying passions that can be followed due to the transition
- Learning to build a strong and positive support system
- Maximizing the present situation to its fullest extent
- Developing Signature Strengths that help with adapting and persevering
- Addressing and overcoming Depression and other mental health issues
Even though change can be scary, it is a natural part of human existence. It is important to not just view it as a time of loss and stress, but also as a catalyst for growth and development. We are here to support you and help you adapt to these changes in a healthy and positive way. Please visit our Resilience Training Program page or call 516-732-0273 to learn more. For more information about our Garden City and Rockville Centre, NY locations, please visit our contact us page.