Mental health is as important as physical health. We’re living at a time with a lot of stressors, expectations, and uncertainty. There is less time than ever to care for ourselves, and even more pressure put on us by others.
Our NY psychologists are here to offer you the services and support you need to better care for your mental health. We’re based on Long Island, able to see patients in person at our Garden City and Rockville Centre locations. We also offer remote psychotherapy. We are licensed to treat patients from the comfort of their own home from anywhere in New York using our online telehealth tools.
Whatever your struggles, Long Island Psychology is here to help. From Albany to NYC to Buffalo to Hempstead, our telehealth and in-person psychotherapy services are always here to help. Give us a call at (516) 732-0273 to schedule a service, or to learn more about our psychologists.
Who We Are at Long Island Psychology
Different psychologists throughout NY tend to treat their patients in very specific ways. Our approach is a little bit different. We personalize and adjust our techniques for you, integrating the scientifically supported solutions that offer the most actionable results to your mental health needs. These may include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – One of the most empirically proven methods for psychotherapy in the world of psychology, cognitive behavioral therapy, or “CBT,” is an approach that provides meaningful actions that you can take to address your thoughts (cognitions) and behaviors.
- Positive Psychology – Positive psychology is a psychological approach that teaches individuals to think more positively, be more resilient to stress and change, and improve their overall well being. It is effective for those with and without diagnosable mental health disorders.
- Dynamic Experiential Learning – Dynamic Experiential Learning is an approach created by Dr. Marc Shulman here at Long Island Psychology, that focuses on how issues people struggle with in their youth can manifest themselves in adults.
These are some of the approaches that we use to help you with your emotional, behavioral, or social struggles.
We also offer TeleHealth services, which allow us to treat anyone in New York state via safe, secure online tools.
Long Island Psychology was founded by Dr. Marc Shulman, a local psychologist born and raised right here in New York. Dr. Shulman started this practice with the goal of personalized wellness that sees you as your own unique individual. It is why Dr. Shulman created Dynamic Experiential Learning, and why he focuses each technique and approach to your story rather than a one-size approach.
He’s joined by Dr. Atara Wertentheil, whose brings her experience not only with adults and couples, but also children and teens, to help those of all ages with their mental health and counseling needs.
Studies have shown that an important part of the therapy process is rapport, and feeling a connection built on trust and comfort with your psychologist. Whether in person or online, we will always make sure that we build that bond so that we can help you with your concerns.
What is TeleHealth?
The world has been changing for years – long before the COVID-19 pandemic. More than ever, our clients are finding that they have less time in the day to see a psychologist in NY, and may not find one that they like in their direct local area.
With COVID-19 still an ever present issue, it’s become even more common for people to want to stay home. Add the data that shows work from home increasing throughout New York, and plenty of political, financial, and personal issues, and it’s natural to feel like you’d be more comfortable addressing your mental health with the least amount of inconvenience.
It’s why we at Long Island Psychology are pleased to offer TeleHealth services – remote, online therapy that is available to anyone, anywhere in New York:
- Syracuse, and More
We have two offices for in-person sessions, in both Rockville Centre and Garden City, both of which are on Long Island in Nassau County. If you’re anywhere close by, in places like Hempstead, Levittown, Freeport, Oceanside, Floral Park – even Queens – you’re always able to come to our office and get the in-person treatments and strategies that will benefit you.
But our TeleHealth online therapy service opens us up to all of New York, so no matter where you are – in NYC or beyond – you can log on and see us remotely, in a secure and confidential way that is often more comfortable and convenient. We’re also happy to offer both services to our local clients as well, so you can schedule in person when you would like to see us, or remotely when you’d prefer to be home.
The “Zoom Therapy” approach is new, but it is quickly becoming a popular approach, especially since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, and because it is so important that we all take care of our mental health with this “new normal,” this type of remote online therapy is an effective tool for giving you a chance to care for yourself and your mental health.
Conditions, Diagnoses, and Challenges We Treat
As experienced NY psychologists, our approach to psychotherapy and counseling is not quite as strict. We do diagnose mental health disorders, but we also believe that therapy and counseling are for anyone and everyone – if you feel like you’re overstressed, overworked, or simply need support, we’re here to help.
Still, diagnoses can help drive treatments, and make it possible to give more feedback and choose the best approach to helping you with your struggles. We treat most mental health conditions, including:
- Depression – Depression is common, even without the challenging times we live in today. We can address depression with CBT, positive psychology, and other approaches, helping you strengthen your coping skills, alter your thought processes, and give you actionable solutions when you’re struggling with depression, bipolar disorder, cyclothymia, and other related conditions.
- Anxiety – Anxiety responds very well to the right treatment. If you find yourself anxious, or struggling with panic attacks, living with OCD, or otherwise experiencing challenges with your day to day nervousness, our NY psychologists will use researched and well regarded approaches to give you the tools you need to manage your anxiety.
- ADHD – Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder can manifest itself in both children and adults in very different ways. Our psychologists will be there to help you manage it, giving you or your child ways to address both the behavioral challenges, and any psychological struggles that some people have living with ADHD.
- Stress – Counseling and therapy is not only for those that have diagnosable mental health disorders. Sometimes, the goal is simply to find ways to overcome the stresses of life. With COVID-19, busy work schedules, and more, stress is everywhere. We’ll help provide some ways to better manage it.
- Addictions – Breaking free of addictions comes not only from learning to control those impulses, but also find new ways to manage some of the issues (like stress) that can contribute to relapse. We work with all different forms of addiction (alcohol, drugs, sex, gambling, and more) using CBT and other successful psychotherapy approaches.
- Loss and Grief – Grief is one of the most powerful emotions a person can feel. It doesn’t hurt to have a New York psychologist you can turn to – someone to walk you through your feelings. If you’ve found that you’re struck in a pattern with your grief, consider reaching out to someone you can turn to.
- Other Conditions – Senior transitions, LGBTQ+ counseling, couples counseling, obsessive compulsive disorder, and others; Long Island Psychology is available to help you work with and address whatever it is you may find a challenge, giving you a chance for a better future.
Dr. Wertentheil is also a trained child psychologist, available for pediatric needs. Both Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil are also available for issues with teens, adults, and seniors, and can help with family therapy as well for those that need assistance with their entire family dynamic.
We’re here if you’re looking for immediate help for a pressing mental health need, and we’re here if you simply would like someone to talk to, almost like a coach or motivator, to give you a chance to take better control over where your life is going. Our resiliency training courses are especially useful for this, as they provide you with ways to build up your emotional and psychological strength.
Long Island Psychology, and our experienced local psychologists, are available to give you the support you need for whatever challenge you may face. Whether you’re looking for a psychologist near you, or you’d like to consider our online TeleHealth psychotherapy options, please contact us at any time at (516) 732-0273 to schedule an appointment, or to inquire more about our services.
NY Psychologist FAQ
Q: Is TeleHeath Covered By Insurance?
A: It’s possible that our Telehealth online therapy is covered by your insurance as an “out of network” service. It will be important to call your insurance company first, as each plan has its own requirements.
Q: Can I Do a Hybrid of Online and In Person?
A: Yes. We have two offices, with one in Garden City and one in Lawrence, NY. We are also available to those in Hempstead, Levittown, Queens, Freeport, Oceanside, Floral Park, Lawrence, and more – anyone that wants to see us in person can. But if you decide you’d like to switch to online therapy, either because you’re too busy to come to the office or because you appreciate the comfort of home, there’s no harm in switching any time you need to.
Q: Do You Offer Any After Hours Support?
A: We do have late afternoon appointments available that are outside of traditional working hours. In some cases, we may be able to add additional times – especially with our TeleHealth service, but these will need to be discussed as scheduling can be limited. Keep in mind that TeleHealth may allow you to see a NY psychologist during work hours as well, as long as you can find 45 to 60 minutes to be alone with your computer.
Q: Can You Cure My Mental Illness?
A: Psychotherapy isn’t about curing your struggles, but helping you both manage it and give you the tools you need to overcome them. But most mental illness has ups and downs, setbacks, and even recurrences. Out goal with therapy is to give you everything you need to address and prevent them, so that you can continue to lead a higher quality of life.
Q: How Much Does Therapy Cost?
A: We’re happy to discuss the cost of our service over the phone. Please feel free and call us at any time to learn more about therapy pricing and structures.
Q: Can I Choose My Psychologist?
A: Both Dr. Shulman and Dr. Wertentheil are happy to take on new clients/patients. If you have a preference for one of our psychologists, please feel free and ask. If you are not sure, we’re happy to talk with you and see who might be the best fit.