- Do you tend to feel nervous or worry excessively about everyday situations and activities? Do you experience distress over being unable to control this worry?
- Do you experience persistent thoughts or feelings of impending doom?
- Do you create scenarios in your mind that trigger physical or emotional distress?
- Do you often experience unwanted physical symptoms such as sweating, increased heart rate, rapid breathing, nausea, and/or muscle tension?
Anxiety is a common problem that can interfere with managing the various challenges you face each day and your quality of life. It is also self-sustaining. You struggle with anxiety, so you experience some type of fear response in a variety of situations. Those situations don’t go well, and so you experience more anxiety. It’s a cycle that can cause anxiety to spiral out of control, and when that happens, a Long Island psychologist like Dr. Marc Shulman and his team can help.
Anxiety can cause mental or physical symptoms, but it frequently results in both. Mental symptoms include worrying about everyday life events (money, family, work), endless repetitive thoughts or behaviors, and trouble concentrating or expecting positive outcomes. Physical symptoms include rapid heartbeat, lightheadedness, sweating, nausea, oversensitivity to normal physical ailments and more.
There are many different types of anxiety as well:
- Generalized Anxiety – Anxiety that is experienced regularly, often with no trigger.
- Social Anxiety – Anxiety in social situations.
- Panic Attacks/Panic Disorder – Sudden physical symptoms that can feel like a heart attack.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder – Anxiety and stress triggered after a traumatic event.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder – Persistent thoughts that cause anxiety, often with compulsions.
- Specific Phobias – Pronounced fears of a specific object, living being, or event/experience.
Anyone can encounter difficulties in their lives that challenge their ability to live in the moment and enjoy experience that come their way. When those anxieties become persistent or chronic, it’s important to break that pattern through therapy – a proven anxiety treatment that can help you find some relief from your anxiety struggles.
We offer in person services in our Garden City, Roslyn Heights, and Rockville Centre locations, and remote therapy for anyone in New York state, and are available to discuss your experiences and challenges.
The Anxiety Toolbox
How Do We
At Long Island Psychology, we have extensive experience getting to the core of our clients’ anxiety and treating a range of symptom presentations. Call 516-732-0273 to learn more about how we can help you understand and tackle anxiety within the context of your unique life circumstances. We are here to help you regain control of the thoughts and emotions that fuel your anxiety so that you can experience a calmer, more peaceful existence.
In the process of treatment, we work to:
- Assess how anxiety manifests for you personally, within the context of your unique circumstances
- Provide a better understanding of the source of your anxiety and how these patterns recur and interfere in your life
- Facilitate an exploration of how life events, thoughts, behaviors, and feelings are interconnected
- Provide strategies for identifying, tracking and understanding the unhealthy thought patterns that lead to anxiety
- Explore evidence that confirms or disconfirms your beliefs
- Teach skills for challenging and changing distorted thinking
- Replace ineffective coping strategies/behaviors with more effective ones
- Offer guidance on helpful relaxation, mindfulness, and breathing techniques
- Enhance your ability to tolerate some levels of anxiety and accept life’s challenges
- Methods selected from various therapeutic approaches, such as CBT, Mindfulness/ACT, Psychodynamic Therapy and Positive Psychology
- Homework and/or small task assignments (ex. thought tracking worksheets) to complete outside of session
- Psychological and/or psychopharmacological treatments (medication) – Each on their own have been proven helpful in diminishing symptoms of anxiety, however they are often most effective together. If we determine that medication could be beneficial, we will provide our clients with a referral to a qualified psychiatrist for an evaluation.
- Recommendations that will vary depending on one’s age, form of anxiety, severity of symptoms, readiness for treatment, and influence of other physical, medical, or mental disorders
What Benefits Can
Therapy Offer You?
- A safe outlet within which to share and release built up tension
- Reduced frequency, intensity, and duration of anxiety/stress
- Greater sense of control over your cognitive and emotional processes
- Increase in ability to tolerate discomfort about things you cannot control
- Effective tools to help you relax in the face of challenges and in your daily routine
- Greater sense of mastery over life’s challenges
- Improved sense of peace and calm
YOUR ROLE IN
- Willingness to notice, document, and challenge thoughts, emotions, and behaviors
- Openness to viewing thoughts and behaviors objectively
- Efforts to practice mindfulness and relaxation exercises outside of sessions
- Patience and consistency with the treatment process
Contact us today to schedule an appointment or learn more about how Long Island Psychology can help you.
Specific Types of
Click below to learn how Long Island Psychology can help.
Your Long Island Anxiety Treatment Specialists
In our years of experience working as Long Island Psychologists, we have helped countless individuals that have struggled with anxiety. With offices in Garden City, Rockville Centre, and Roslyn Heights, along with our remote therapy services available throughout New York, many of our clients have come to our sessions and worked through both their physical and emotional anxiety symptoms, in order to find relief from their daily stress.
We have helped many people learn to feel calmer and more in control, and we use an individualized approach to help you gain the tools you need to reduce your anxieties. No matter what causes your anxiety, what maintains it, or what struggles you experience in the future, we are confident that through our sessions together, you will be able to start seeing real progress in the way your anxiety manifests and how you react to it.
If you are ready to fight those fears, improve your emotional and physical health, and start making changes that will lead to fewer anxiety symptoms in the future, contact us today at (516) 732-0273. Let's schedule an appointment and start talking about your anxieties and their solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Cost of Therapy for Anxiety?
Please contact us to learn more about our fees, as our rates vary depending on certain options you may select for your treatment. Many of our services are also available to be reimbursed as “out of network” by certain insurance companies, so we encourage you to contact your insurance to see if they provide any support.
What if My Anxiety is Untreatable?
Anxiety is a treatable condition that typically responds very well to treatment. We are confident we can address your anxiety in our sessions to make it more manageable. If for any reason it feels like we need some extra support, we can also refer you out to a psychiatrist for medication to augment the therapy.
I Am Not Sure if I Have Anxiety - Can You Help?
Sometimes, it’s easy to tell you have anxiety. Other times, anxiety can be more subtle. Let us determine what you’re struggling with and what you need. Diagnosis may help guide treatment, but it is only one of many factors that go into helping you live a better quality of life.
Can I Choose My Therapist?
You are welcome to request Dr. Marc Shulman or Dr. Atara Wertentheil. We can also have our psychologists reach out to you to see who might be the best fit.
Where Are You Located?
We have two offices, one in Garden City and one in Rockville Centre. We are also pleased to be able to offer both phone and video therapy for clients anywhere in New York.
Relevant Blog Posts
Contact Long Island Psychology Today
If you have any questions about individual, group, or couples therapy (marriage counseling) or about working with a psychologist/therapist please do not hesitate to call.
We have offices in Garden City, Rockville Centre, and Roslyn Heights, NY. We also have remote therapy options available. If you need help on Long Island on or near Nassau County, contact Long Island Psychology, today.