Sexual assault is one of the most frightening, traumatic experiences that can ever happen in a person’s life. How you respond to an assault is highly individualized and personal. But there are common patterns that victims of sexual violence may experience. Some of which may include:
- Severe Flashbacks of the Event
- Disturbed Sleep
- Feelings of Shame and Guilt
- Depression and Low Self-Esteem
It can be difficult to move forward in your life after a sexual assault – in some cases you may not even know how to feel or what to do next. It is important to remember that what happened is not your fault. If you find that you are struggling with the after-effects of an assault, there is support that you can turn to for help. You do not have to go through this recovery alone.
Making a Change After Sexual Violence
Even if it seems like recovery is not possible, there are changes and treatments that can help you feel like you’re back towards a more content, happy life. Whether your assault happened years ago or recently, coping with the short and long term effects can be minimized through emotional self-care and support, and when you need help, it can be beneficial to see a Long Island psychologist that is trained to help you with your recovery process.
Therapy for Sexual Assault Recovery in Long Island
My name is Dr. Marc Shulman. I am a Long Island psychologist with experience working with traumatic events and sexual assault. My unique approach encourages healing from trauma while facilitating an environment where you can process your emotions and start the healing process. I have several therapeutic services that include:
- Individual Counseling – It is helpful for survivors to speak about their assault and their feelings so that they can move forward. My individual therapy services will encourage you to become more comfortable in your life again and to release feelings of guilt and shame.
- Intensive Crisis Counseling – While most of my clients will see me once a week, I do provide the opportunity to receive therapy more frequently. If you are struggling with severe symptoms after a sexual assault, I can offer you intensive crisis support to help you through this difficult time.
My goal is to create an open and safe environment for you to process your emotions and find yourself again. If you need support to work through your sexual assault, call me today at (516)731-0273 to schedule an appointment.