Are you recently single because of a breakup or divorce?
Breakups and divorces are some of the most emotionally upsetting, painful, and challenging experiences a person faces. Even when a breakup or divorce is “for the best” it can be an incredibly hurtful and lonely experience, bringing up a lot of unsettling feelings about the relationship itself and about you as an individual. Everything from your life is upended, as you have to settle into a “new normal” and adjust to your life without your significant other. Often, breakups and divorces can feel like the death of your former partner out of your life, and is why we call part of the therapeutic process “mourning the relationship.” At Long Island Psychology our Resilience Training Program can help you face the difficulty of being newly single, and cultivate a growth-oriented mindset by aiding you in:
- Adjusting to your new life and daily routine
- Dealing with loss of financial, social or emotional support
- Feelings of hopelessness and uncertainty about the future
- Heartbreak and emotional pain
- Feeling stuck in present emotions and the inability to find clarity
- Telling family members/addressing the ending of the relationship with your children
- Depression/Anxiety or other mental health issues
Feelings of hopelessness, loneliness, and depression are normal and valid after ending a significant relationship in your life. It may be difficult to see past this particular moment in time and to visualize the potential for great things in the future. However, this is a specifically important time in your life to not just mourn the pain of ending the relationship but to discover who you are and to focus on your personal strengths and goals.
Resilience Training may help you:
- Recognize your emotions and help you overcome the initial pain
- Understand why the relationship ended and what went wrong
- Navigate how to move forward and approach relationships in the future
- Find positivity in change and work on dealing with life transitions
- Develop Signature Strengths that will help you overcome the end of your relationship and discover yourself
- Work on other forms of relationship connectivity, with friends and family
- Persevere and find passions that are personal to you
- Address and overcome Depression/Anxiety or other forms of mental health issues
While this may seem like an incredibly overwhelming and painful time, we can help you overcome and change negative relationship patterns as well as discover your own path and goals. Our Resilience Training Program will provide you with the tools to face your immediate adversity and learn how to face distress and emotional upheaval in the future. Please visit our Resilience Training Program page or call 516-732-0273 to learn more.
For more information about our Garden City and Rockville Centre, NY locations, please visit our contact us page.